Clandestined

Admiral Duck Sauce 2013-07-09 10:34:54
Toshiba shakes his head. "Leaves must fall for spring to bring new ones. If change comes, embrace it... but I doubt that the world that is coming lacks a place for shinobi."
Nevina 2013-07-21 18:58:30
Gatac wrote:

Kiara has picked up a shadow, it seems. A small girl seems to be practicing her ninjitsu by following her around the village, darting from concealment to shadow to cover. Of course, given that Kiara noticed her, she still has a lot to learn.

Kiara took care to walk by one of the buildings, noting the dark interior and the windows on the sides. Her grin brightened as she rounded a corner, judging the distance between the two to have just enough time to nudge the backside window open and brush her footsteps out of the snow. She neatly slipped through the open window and crept to the adjacent wall where she crouched below the sill, waiting to hear the light foot steps slink by. She glided back over the sill into a kneeling position, placing herself neatly behind her fellow ninja. It would be about this time that a proper ninja would scold the girl, then give pointers about how to improve.

Lectures were boring.

Like a feline eyeing its prey Kiara waited, watching the girl's expression. Slipping out a blade, Kiara's legs sprung her forward in one smooth motion, aiming to knock the girl face forward in the snow with a blade at her throat.
Gatac 2013-07-22 13:52:38
(Kiara's Tactics: 1d20+5 = 13)

Kiara's feint seems to be working right up until she launches herself at the girl - who deftly dodges to the side, leaving Kiara in the lurch! But a ninja never wastes momentum. Kiara tucks into a roll, spreads her feet wide on the slippery ground and slides on the ice underneath the snow, turning around and adding the rotation to a knife throw just as the girl recovers from her own dodge. The girl's eyes go wide and then snap shut as she brings up her wooden weapon practice rod, catching the knife's point in the wood as Kiara slides to a stop.

After a moment, the girl opens her eyes again, looks at the knife stuck in her rod and cheers. "Woohoo!" she cries. "That was fricking AWESOME! I was all like one with the shadows but you went totally evasive and flipped it and charged but I darkstepped you and you did this sweet recovery and then WOAH KNIFE but I totally caught it! That was SO COOL!" She turns to the wide-eyed crowd. "Did you see that? That was flipping SWEET! Tell me you saw that!"
"Bumi!" comes a stern voice from the crowd, but even the arrival of Senior Instructor Mako cannot wipe the grin off the girl's face. "How many times do I have to tell you not to challenge your seniors!?"
"No, it's fine, she's cool," Bumi replies, giving him one of those "12 year-old's idea of casual badass" smirks.
"Apologize to her right this instant!" Mako shouts.
Bumi rolls her eyes, turns her smirk to Kiara and offers a fistbump.

---

Sinan's mask echoes with a pained laugh at Toshiba's words.

"There will always be work for shinobi, for as long as there are two men in this world, there will be need for violence," Sinan says. "But what you are doing is cutting down a tree and saying 'Well, the forest is still there'. Have you no regard left, then, for the clan that raised and trained you, Toshiba? Not the barest spark of loyalty or even sentiment? Then you truly are a bandit fit to wear this armor." Sinan pauses for a moment. "Hollow though my words may ring to you, I will let you leave in peace, but you and your sons and their sons unto the seventh generation are forbidden to return here. Know that I truly do despise you, and that I would slip my blades through every joint of your lacquered shell if I thought it could help the clan in any way. Alas, you are the mere symptom, not the cancer itself. Killing you will change nothing."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2013-07-24 11:23:02
Toshiba's face is stormy as his estimation of his former master and the task he truly expected Toshiba to perform is proven wrong, then dead wrong. He's content to let Sinan have the last word, and simply turns and starts walking calmly for the clan stronghold's gates. Let every Ayami see him leave, then. Not welcome back, perhaps, but neither with a knife in the back. Proof that they can choose, even if their choices close old doors. Where did unyielding devotion get you? What use was honor? Those things only made puppets of men. Loyalty and honor provided the strings to make them dance, then made handy garrotes once they'd outlived their usefulness. One did not become a puppeteer by having strings of their own.
Nevina 2013-08-16 17:23:54
"Shishka-bob ninjas are no fun. Nice reflexes, ninja, but not so much on the one-with-the-shadows bit. We should have a bout sometime." Kiara grinned, nodding towards the knife in the rod, memories floating to the surface of her mind, images of her own adventurous scrimmaging across the establishment with Kagemaru flashing before her. She had lost count of how many times she had gotten into trouble over some mischief or other. One fist bump later, Kiara eyed the tiny girl with a curious quirk of the brow, "Surely you have a partner in crime somewhere, eh?"

With a quick glance at Mako sensei, "How many students are running around this year?" She couldn't fathom any children existing at all, really. What ninja could settle down long enough to have a baby and miss out on all that fighting? Or did they just fight anyways? It seemed like it'd be hard with the swell. Or maybe the kids just sort of recruited themselves into the base overnight. Somehow. Pushing the uncomfortable thoughts aside, she turned her focus back on the duo before her.
Gatac 2013-08-21 12:19:29
"Just five," Mako replies, still glaring at Bumi. "Well, I can see my guidance is wasted here. Let's see what Master Sinan has to say about this!"
"Oh, yeah, like I'm afraid of Mr. Metalface," Bumi says. "You're all lame-os cramping my sweet style."

Mako waves her off and turns to leave, while Bumi looks up at Kiara.

"Partner?" she says. "Bah, everyone in my class is a dork. They think darkstepping is going up to the temple at night, they're not nearly badical enough to flip out with me." She grins up at Kiara. "But you, you're pretty awesome. We should totally hang out. Hells, I could be your partner - no, wait, apprentice! You teach me some of those moves, we'll be unstoppable, we'll eat samurai and shit death!"

---

Let's not mince words: when Toshiba "Blue Oni" Shiretoko takes to the skies with a dive off the mountain, he's got two middle fingers up.

Goodbye and good riddance, Ayami clan.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2013-08-27 15:15:37
A little while later, once the shadow of the Ayami fortress is far behind him, Toshiba stops at a fast-flowing stream. He was unable to glean the identity of Kei or any other Ayami spies within Sarano's household from Sinan. Moreover, he'd severed his ties completely - a task he thought he had done years before, but only know knew it was confirmed. With that realization, he sets his sights in Sarano's direction. He would see what the lay of the compound looked like, find a way in, and possibly even meet up with his comrades.
Kagemaru 2013-08-31 12:38:24
Gatac wrote:

"Much as you, Kagemaru," Sinan says, turning to the living shadow. "You set foot outside this fortress mere months ago without even a rank, and you return the master of a very dangerous artifact. But nevermind all that - after I hear your report, we must talk about the status of your original assignment. We have uncovered some information you may find enlightening. After that, I have a favor to ask of you all. Come now - we are wasting time."

Kagemaru gratefully bows to Master Sinan, "Thank you master, it's an honor."
Gatac wrote:

"Kagemaru!" comes a call to greet the young ninja as he walks the courtyard; he looks to his side to find Sensei Kateko walk up to him with a smile. Kateko is the clan's master of disguise - whether samurai, priest or even noble, Kateko can easily slip into any role and taught Kagemaru everything he knows about blending in. He claps his hand on Kagemaru's shoulder and walks with him. "Good to have you back, boy. I've been worried about you, staying out there for so long." His smile slowly fades as he keeps talking. "Listen, I know you've got your reasons for traveling with the target, and helping her, but...the clan needs to eat, too. That was a very lucrative contract you were sent on." The smile returns. "I'm not telling you how to do your job, I'm just saying, if you go out there and you see something that looks like business you could send our way, we'd all appreciate it - that's something our Chunin can be expected to look for. Gods, Sinan won't lower himself to banditry, but I'm a practical man. One way or another we need to make money. You know?"

"Kateko-sensei, your teachings were an invaluable help in surviving the hardships in my way. I must thank you for that." Kagemaru says, as he walks along his former teacher. "That being said, I also learned a lot from master Sinan. What would a meal taste like if it's cut from the innocent? I'm proud to be member of a clan that is not lending itself to the low ways of banditry. I've seen enough people on my travels that went the way you suggest. And guess what? They weren't living a better life. They were always striving for more and more... until their way destroyed them."
Nevina 2013-09-01 12:11:36
"I've already got my partner and minions, firecracker. It's better if you go forge a couple buddies yourself. You can't make it outside these walls alone, world doesn't work like that." Kiara laughed, shaking her head, "Here's a tip for you, though: All my skills? I pretty much learned them here. Or, well, the foundations I guess. Good place to start, anyways. Lame teachers are lame, sure, but you can't deny that they give a good match. I'd take you on in a spar only after you've beaten the meatloafs here."

A pause, then she added, "But, you know, they're family, so don't beat them too hard." Her tone was that of confidence that the girl could indeed reach their level, so it was only natural that she shouldn't beat her elders to a pulp.

"Speaking of minions, I'm gonna go find my partner and see what mischief we can stir up. Stay strong, ninja." She had made a point not to call the girl 'kid' during the exchange, and gave a short grin and salute before bounding merrily off. Surely Kagemaru and Toshiba were around here somewhere. Kiara spied a little dot in the sky, quirking a brow. Or.. maybe not?
Gatac 2013-09-05 13:30:14
Kagemaru wrote:

"Kateko-sensei, your teachings were an invaluable help in surviving the hardships in my way. I must thank you for that." Kagemaru says, as he walks along his former teacher. "That being said, I also learned a lot from master Sinan. What would a meal taste like if it's cut from the innocent? I'm proud to be member of a clan that is not lending itself to the low ways of banditry. I've seen enough people on my travels that went the way you suggest. And guess what? They weren't living a better life. They were always striving for more and more... until their way destroyed them."

"You're right," Kateko says. "At the end of the day we all need to do what we believe is right." The topic of what he thinks is right is deliberately left open. "Well, thank you for your consideration, Kagemaru-chunin. And congratulations, really." Kateko smiles again. "Just remember us when you're the new Shadowguard, eh?"

---
Nevina wrote:

"I've already got my partner and minions, firecracker. It's better if you go forge a couple buddies yourself. You can't make it outside these walls alone, world doesn't work like that." Kiara laughed, shaking her head, "Here's a tip for you, though: All my skills? I pretty much learned them here. Or, well, the foundations I guess. Good place to start, anyways. Lame teachers are lame, sure, but you can't deny that they give a good match. I'd take you on in a spar only after you've beaten the meatloafs here."

A pause, then she added, "But, you know, they're family, so don't beat them too hard." Her tone was that of confidence that the girl could indeed reach their level, so it was only natural that she shouldn't beat her elders to a pulp.

"Oh," Bumi says, in that 'Well, dad, it's alright, I didn't really want a puppy for Christmas' tone. "Okay, I get it. I'm not badical enough - yet. Still getting caught by Mako and shit. I guess you think I'd just be cramping your style. But hey!" Suddenly, she's all smiles again, walking backwards while making 'gonne' gestures with both hands at Kiara - index and middle fingers pointed, thumbs up. "I'm gonna prove it! I'll beat all those lame-os, ditch this snooozefest and one day soon, when it's you and a dozen samurai - BAM! Super Shadow Bumi's gonna be there to help a sister out! It'll be so frikkin' sweet - it'll be so...important, you'll see!" Then, she turns around and runs off, shouting one last "Thanks!" to Kiara.
Gatac 2013-09-25 12:29:04
After a bit of reacquainting themselves with the clan fortress, Kagemaru and Kiara are called back before Master Sinan's place. The scant portions of his face visible behind his metal mask seem more...pleading than usual.

"Thank you both for coming," Sinan begins. "I have thought on your exploits in the lands, and there is something I would have you do - if the Shadowguard can spare you for a week or so. What I will tell you cannot leave this room. Neither can anything you will find on your mission, should you choose to accept it.

"I'm sure you have wondered about the caves this fortress is built on. They are forbidden to all in this clan except for its master, for a good reason - they are filled with deadly traps and things that should not be, old and angry from a time before such things as science and philosophy. The caves were the home of the First Clan. We were sworn to protect its secrets long ago, when this clan was founded. It is a responsibility that has been passed down from master to master. However, I am ashamed to say that we were careless. A few days ago, bandits tried to attack us. In driving them off, we inadvertently forced some of them to a secret entrance to the caves. I have had clan members keep vigil at that entrance, and so far none have come back out. However..."

Sinan pauses for effect.

"There are things in these caves not meant for any man to have. Slight as the chance is, if a bandit were to brave the caves and gain this ancient power, we would be responsible for letting loose a terrible danger to the Empire. I am asking you to go into the caves and confirm, as best as you can, that all three bandits are dead. If any yet survive, hunt them down. Take care not to disturb the things that rest inside any more than you have to. Particularly, do not try to remove anything from the caves, no matter how tempting or accessible it may seem. You would most likely perish in the attempt."

"I cannot order you to take on this mission - it is my own responsibility to see it done, but I cannot now leave the clan unattended for the days it would take to handle it. If you would do agree to it, however, you would have my deepest respect and gratitude."
Nevina 2013-09-29 11:11:59
Kiara's mood was considerably lighter, what with all the nostalgia and having young ones with potential to look forward to in the future. She pranced forward and slapped Kagemaru's shoulder to catch his attention and pass over her grin. She never bothered to sneak up on him as she usually had to put her best foot forward to even try to succeed in it. He'd always catch her if she didn't.

"It feels weird to be back home. It's like the place is half stuck in a time bubble where everything is where I remember it to be, and it's half like everything's changed. I don't know how to explain it." Kiara squinted in thought, but then gave a shrug. The summons to Sinan's put the rest of her thoughts on hold, and she sat with growing interest.

Her eyes glittered with excitement as Sinan's details were listed. Forbidden? Yes, good. Deadly traps? Delicious! History and secrets? Meh, sure, why not. Things to fight? Now we're talking! Back up the caravan and pour them all out at once!

The idea that objects of great temptation lay in the cave seemed to be of little interest to Kiara, but the way she was suddenly fidgeting and beaming might lead the casual observer to think otherwise. She also didn't appear to think far enough ahead that the bandits might have put such objects to use already. Really, there was nothing like a good ol' beating in honor of their home clan.

Surely their split party mates won't notice if they were a few extra days late. Utterly giddy at this point, Kiara turned to her more serene partner with her never ending optimistic joy, "Bandits, Kagemaru! Lets do it!"