CAMPAIGN COMMENTS - Comments on previous/current Spycraft ca

fanchergw 2005-05-26 21:07:07
Quoting rules and rulings doesn't establish that those rules aren't broken. Only results in play can be used to determine that.

First Law of Gaming: GMs always have the right to bend the rules in any way they see fit to make a better game.

BTW, the character sheet posted for Ilyanna is *not* her true character sheet. It is a ruse like pretty much everything else that was done with this character.

Replaying the scene voids the element of surprise and changes how everyone acts. On this I agree with Ivan.

However, I also agree with ADS. If quick, sneaky kills are impossible, this becomes nothing more than a wargame with story attached.

While it's true that Peter's badly wounded, most of that came *after* the grenades - and by any reasonable accounting, there shouldn't have been an "after".
Dieter 2005-05-26 21:08:17
Quote:

Quote: from admiralducksauce on 2:53 pm on May 26, 2005
My vote is to have Jess 2.0 and Ilyanna fight it out point-blank, gun-kata style in the runaway truck while Brian tries to clamber aboard, and where's Carla?

Give Ilyanna a surprise attack on Jess and then play the thing out. Here's the thing, though: There is no reason to ever play anything other than a Soldier again. If you can't get sneaky ninja attacks on people, it turns into a flat-out brawl every time we want or need to terminate someone, so there's no need to invest in anything other than straight combat skills. You don't need to stand down if you have a gun pointed in your face except to play along by genre conventions.

Alright. The cat is -way- out of the bag, down the street, and eating Mrs. Smith's canary as we speak.

I'm not sure how to rectify the situation without completely screwing over the rest of the plotline.
CrazyIvan 2005-05-26 21:09:59
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 2:07 pm on May 26, 2005
Quoting rules and rulings doesn't establish that those rules aren't broken. Only results in play can be used to determine that.

First Law of Gaming: GMs always have the right to bend the rules in any way they see fit to make a better game.

BTW, the character sheet posted for Ilyanna is *not* her true character sheet. It is a ruse like pretty much everything else that was done with this character.

Replaying the scene voids the element of surprise and changes how everyone acts. On this I agree with Ivan.

However, I also agree with ADS. If quick, sneaky kills are impossible, this becomes nothing more than a wargame with story attached.

While it's true that Peter's badly wounded, most of that came *after* the grenades - and by any reasonable accounting, there shouldn't have been an "after".

If quick, sneaky, no-warning kills on a major PC are possible, this becomes nothing more than "Dungeons and Dragons, with Guns". Because, if it happens once, it can happen again.

Which means we're now a "party" not a team, and we're free-agents, because NPCs are all potential instant kills.

Sound like fun?

Want some Cheerios?
fanchergw 2005-05-26 21:13:08
Keep in mind that the fight between Jess and Ily happened before the attempt to run Brian down.

*IF* we go the gunkata route and by some wargaming miracle Ilyanna wins, then I guarantee there is no way Ily will go anywhere near Brian, since that was based on her having the element of surprise. She will drive the other way, and he can chase her across town on foot with the troops shooting at him.
Gatac 2005-05-26 21:15:40
There are three conflicts here:

1. The rules vs. What People Think Should Happen In Real Life.
2. OOC: GM & player vs. other players.
3. IC: Ilyanna vs. Jess, and any resulting changes in storyline.

We need to keep all these separate. In the end, it's just a game.
CrazyIvan 2005-05-26 21:17:58
Quote:

Quote: from admiralducksauce on 2:15 pm on May 26, 2005

We need to keep all these separate. In the end, it's just a game.

Problem is, these are all very tied together.

Jess v. Illyana is determined by Rules v. Life and brought on by GM-PC interaction.
fanchergw 2005-05-26 21:21:47
Quote:

Quote: from CrazyIvan on 12:09 pm on May 26, 2005
If quick, sneaky, no-warning kills on a major PC are possible, this becomes nothing more than "Dungeons and Dragons, with Guns". Because, if it happens once, it can happen again.

Uhm, Ivan? D&D is the king of having unkillable characters. That's where the rules come from, that Spycraft modified to make slightly *more* dangerous.

As for happening again, didn't it already with Yuri and his partner Mikhail?
CrazyIvan 2005-05-26 21:25:31
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 2:21 pm on May 26, 2005

Quote:

Quote: from CrazyIvan on 12:09 pm on May 26, 2005

Uhm, Ivan? D&D is the king of having unkillable characters. That's where the rules come from, that Spycraft modified to make slightly *more* dangerous.

As for happening again, didn't it already with Yuri and his partner Mikhail?

PCs vs. NPCs. A *huge* distinction in AEG Games, and the entire Genre.

D&D is the king of paranoid, Us vs. The World, "I check for traps. I check for traps. I check..." It's style I'm talking about, not rules.
Gatac 2005-05-26 21:25:57
The sewer shooting was a surprise round where Moten and Brian managed the feat by stripping the Vitality of the (vastly lower power level) NPCs by good shooting. Heck, it could have been an Extremely Deadly Situation.

Not exactly a "no dice touched" autokill.

Gatac
fanchergw 2005-05-26 21:28:29
Is anyone else getting "server not found" when they post? Every time I've posted in this thread, I've gotten that error, but the post has appeared anyway. Any idea what's going on?
CrazyIvan 2005-05-26 21:31:22
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 2:28 pm on May 26, 2005
Is anyone else getting "server not found" when they post? Every time I've posted in this thread, I've gotten that error, but the post has appeared anyway. Any idea what's going on?

No, but I was about to post a similar question. Forum is acting funny.
Dieter 2005-05-26 21:36:58
Ok, I think I have a reasonable resolution that will keep everything that has transpired kosher and (at least somewhat) agreeable to everyone.

Jess may be out of Wound Points, but she still has ALL of her Action Dice.

In lieu of that, she's got 4d6 worth. By the rules, you may burn AD at the rate of 2WP gained per die used.

Jess is back up to 8/12WP next round.

Game-motherfucking-on....dammit! :)

Additionally, I'd like everyone playing in SnS to stop posting until 4PM EST.

Thanks.
Dieter 2005-06-03 14:14:20
Is everyone liking the cinematic-style fight sequences that I've been posting? They really help pace the game out and simple goon fights can be resolved without alot of posts.

I will be reserving round-style combat for your henchmen/boss-fights. I figure everyone will still want to get in soliloquies, weapons displays, taunts, etc.

You guys still get injured but I try to keep the damage dealing a bit more subtle.