Jade Imperium - OOC 9

Admiral Duck Sauce 2009-05-30 16:42:07
map-spire1.jpg

Green is Hugh, Semo, and your squad of Rangers. Red are the Turai you can see. Blue are Bravo team members who you can tell are still alive from where you are.

The small circles represent a kind of cafeteria/rest area; the small room to its west is the autochef. The long N-S hallway looks out over a larger area you know of from reports. Bravo was engaging the Imperial holdouts from this elevated position overlooking a main archive-turned-CiC.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2009-06-04 19:11:40
Semo and Hugh are all healed up, of course, but Semo is back at 10 Shock left. He tagged you the best he could and you still took no Wounds. :)
e of pi 2009-06-05 06:39:12
ADS, part of me is finding it awesome that you mentioned statites. Another part of it is wanting to point out that they'd get more efficient thrust pre unit area from their solar sails if they didn't absorb the photons for power. Then the first part reminds me that they've not only built a solar sail material that is both lightwieght and can function as some sort of photovoltaic cell, but that they've churned out enough of the stuff to support and power a complex that surrounds a star. Size of sail required and minimizing that probably isn't a big deal. And indeed: "There is room for everyone; energy for everyone; safety for everyone." So that's (in other words): "Screw efficiency, we've got shitloads of extra stuff."

In other words, ADS, consider my puny engineer mind blown.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2009-06-05 16:48:55
DatonKallandor wrote:

Is that a Great Race of Yith reference I spot, ADS?

Sorry to respond so late, but I missed it in the jumble. The Yith are indeed a source of inspiration for the Masters, and I was pretty sure I was doing a better job at obfuscating that. :)

I figure with that reference confirmed, you can probably tell what the foundation for the "demon/hostile" was.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2009-06-05 17:03:35
e of pi wrote:

Thanks! :) I had originally imagined it as a Dyson sphere, but wikipedia was enough to set me towards something a teeeny tiny bit less problematic. It also helps that my coworker is the webmaster for Atomic Rocket.
punkey 2009-06-06 00:38:06
Once the status update is complete, Davis is going to ask if they can rest if anyone needs it (unless they're remotely doing the same kind of repair that sleep provides while we travel or something) and then keep an eye out and observe until they arrive.
e of pi 2009-06-06 02:41:03
admiralducksauce wrote:

e of pi wrote:

Thanks! :) I had originally imagined it as a Dyson sphere, but wikipedia was enough to set me towards something a teeeny tiny bit less problematic. It also helps that my coworker is the webmaster for Atomic Rocket.

Yeah, Dyson's are nice until you crunch the numbers and realize that you need some sort of artificial gravity--ironicly, there's no gravity on the interior surface of a uniform spherical or ring-shaped distribution of mass except that the star would provide, wich is pulling the wrong way. At least with a ring you can spin it to provide a uniform artificial gravity through centrifugal force.

And you...know the guy who does Project Rho's site? That place is literally the reference site for hard science fiction (or real space) rocketry on the web, as far as I'm concerned, and I know I'm not the only one who checks it before wikipedia on that kind of thing.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2009-06-10 06:27:26
Yup, Winchell Chung. He sits 2 desks to my left at work. Believe me, I was just as surprised. The site is just him, too. I mean, he gets snippets and info from all over, but he talks to nuclear sub crewmen and gets star data from NASA and advises upcoming novelists and stuff. And I'm on the other side of the dev room with my antigravity and space fighters and stargates. Oh well - it's better to know the science and knowingly ignore it than to do the same out of ignorance. :)

Anyhoo - the question posed to Davis doesn't really need to answered in depth. It's there mainly as an opportunity to skip to "and Davis tells the Master the story so far, and now we've arrived at Candy Mountain!" Of course, if you want to ask questions before arrival, that's fine too.
punkey 2009-06-10 07:15:47
Nah. Davis can't pass up an opportunity for a smartass remark like that, though. :)
fanchergw 2009-06-11 05:54:30
I'm kinda waiting on a post from Gatac, as his character is the commander of this bunch of lack-wits.
Gatac 2009-06-11 08:50:18
You called?

Yes, we're enacting Peace Through Superior Firepower.
e of pi 2009-06-25 22:45:52
ADS, I wish you could do a drawing of this scene, just so I could make a motivational poster out of it:
Quote:

Image of Luis, from behind him, looking at robotic armadillo monster-thing. In thought bubble, " Might as well play it like you mean it". Below that, in a speech bubble, some version of Luis' "We are Delta Force, hear us ROAR!" bit. Then, again in thought bubble, "Please don't shoot us."

The Full Name
For When You have to Establish How Badass You Are in a Hurry
Gatac 2009-06-26 19:49:53
Yeah, broadcasting the dirty laundry over the codex may give us a history book, but I'd rather have a historian to make sense of it for us, too.
Gatac 2009-07-14 22:08:23
I think we've officially gone beyond the call of duty on not just killing the shit out of everything.
fanchergw 2009-07-23 17:30:51
I hope nobody's waiting on me to post. The captain told Semo to wait, and he's doing just that.
fanchergw 2009-07-23 21:34:17
I hope my message wasn't interpreted as harrying; it certainly wasn't intended as such. Please take whatever time you need, Adam, and don't feel rushed.

Gordon
Gatac 2009-07-24 10:10:55
Whether ALMIGHTY means sending 155mm shells or killdrones from orbit I don't care, as long as things go boom. :)

And here's to hoping that specifying "danger close" makes the right things go boom.