Jade Imperium - Afghanistan, Pt. 3

Admiral Duck Sauce 2019-06-11 01:40:46
"Let's sunball 'em all while they're in formation," FTE suggests. "Just putting that out there for consensus."
e of pi 2019-06-13 03:05:57
FTE's suggestion stirs Luis out of black musings--it was hard to put on a cover while the Imperium's Chinese allies admired their handiwork with the Rah'pah's they'd been given. "I wish it was that easy," he says. "Honestly, if we thought we could get all of them, I might even be for it, but it wouldn't get all their outlying detachments, any hardened outposts, or those damn guns, so whoever left here would just dig in harder and still be holding down a beachhead for whenever they decide to turn this from a cancer into an all out invasion."
punkey 2019-06-14 04:46:48
"What about getting out alive?" Ngawai asks.
"We have their OPORD," Garrett says. "If we want more info, there's...safer ways to get it than starting a fight with an entire base."
Hale just looks vaguely disquieted by the idea of sunballing a few hundred people.
e of pi 2019-06-17 03:21:37
"I wish there was more we could do than that," Luis says, "But I'm having trouble thinking of anything."
punkey 2019-06-21 20:28:13
"What would this accomplish?" Hale asks. "They'd just replace them in a few days. They aren't a threat to us. They aren't a threat to anyone right now. And we would have this slaughter on our hands for nothing." He shakes his head. "This is too close to what you say you are fighting against. I know. I say we play along and get out of here."
Arketta nods, while Ngawai just looks at him for a moment, saying nothing.
e of pi 2019-06-25 23:13:31
Luis sighs. "I know. I just wish there was...something clever we could do about it. Let's get in formation, get clear of here with the OPORD, and figure something out from there."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2019-06-27 19:21:48
Front Toward Enemy nods. This slow, unsteady approximation of consensus wasn't the same as a Sheen node arriving at a decision, but there were familiar undercurrents that salved its processes in a similar rush of machine endorphins. "Yeah, let's bounce."
punkey 2019-07-01 07:00:39
Nothing would blow your cover as Turai faster than sneaking around during mandatory formations - it’s kinda hard to blend in when you’re the only ones running around. The team hustles over to the formation and is quickly waved into an open spot off to the left side, blessedly close to the Gateway but still right up front. Ngawai, Arketta and Hale take the front trin, being the ones that actually know a thing or two about Turai military bearing.

As they take positions, a vox channel opens to them and presumably everyone else around them - one Rav-Turai Harsani, standing roughly in the middle of the formation. “Get that last row closed up,” he says. Arketta, Hale and Ngawai space off each other, then snap to attention. “Outstanding,” Harsani continues. “There’s that First I like to see. At ease!” The whole formation shifts just a little bit to the left as the turai widen their stance and lock their arms behind them.

“I know you’ve all been waiting on word,” Harsani says. “We’re a fighting unit, like I keep telling the Rav-Odun. There’s only so much playing house we can do until we get a little restless.” A strategic pause. “But restless don’t mean sloppy. We can’t afford sloppy out here. Make no mistake, Turai, this is a combat operation, not a vacation. If you’re after a snowball fight, book your leave accordingly.” A bit of laughter ripples through the formation. “I look around and I see a lot of hard work getting done. The Rav-Odun sees it, too. The entire Imperium sees it. You can be proud of what we’ve achieved here. To be standing on the soil of the homeworld and be the Turai that led the effort to carve that last pillar is an honor that only we few will know. I’m no ravillar so I’m going to get to the point: right now, I need you all focused on the job. There’s more hard work ahead of us. The Emperor doesn’t send his best Turai on easy missions. Everything we do right here - every single job - is one step closer to a protected homeworld, to safety for the Narsai’i, to eternal glory for our banner. I know you’ll do the First proud.”

Harsani steps forward towards the formation. “I know that a lot of you are…unsettled by what the Narsai’i we’re working with have done. None of us like pacifications, but we recognize the threat that disorder and unrest poses to the Imperium - but what the Narsai’i have done goes beyond that.” He starts walking towards the team, eyes scanning the formation as he does so. “And I’m with you. The holos that the survey team here has gathered of that downed transport made me sick to my stomach.”

Rav-Turai Harsani, The Hand that Shields the First, stops in front of Arketta and Hale. “Turai, what did you see?” he asks them.
“Slaughter, Rav-Turai,” Arketta replies.
“They had no warning, Rav-Turai,” Hale says. “The Narsai’i didn’t even give them a chance to comply.”
Harsani nods. “And that’s what makes us the good ones, Turai.” He turns back and walks to the front of the formation. “That’s what separates a pacification, as horrible as it may be, from a slaughter. We are here to save the Narsai’i from themselves, Turai. It will be hard, and we will have to work with the monsters that the Narsai’i can be. But we must prevail. For the good of the Narsai’i, and of the galaxy. Understood?”
Yes, Rav-Turai!” the formation calls back.
Rav-Turai Harsani nods. “Good. Keep that thought with you, it will carry you all through this.” Harsani returns to his position at the head of the formation. “Turai, atten-tion!” The formation closes back up as the Turai snap upright. “Dismissed.”

“Let’s get the fuck out of here,” Hale grunts. You don’t need to see his face to sense his disgust, his voice carries it over the vox just fine.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2019-07-08 19:30:07
Front Toward Enemy moves to leave with its quad. It thought Harsani's speech was ironic, how the man attempted to separate the Imperials from the Chinese when it was the Imperium's exploitation and so-called alliance that led to the attack in the first place.

This was just the Internet writ large, and writ real. Antagonism without consequences. The railguns protected the Chinese from retaliation, else they never would've had the balls to pull the trigger.

"Yeah," FTE agrees with Hale. "Don't feed the trolls."