Cloak & Broadsword - Chapter 1: Taking the fight to the enem

Dieter 2004-01-19 22:25:05
*Ding-Dong*

The front doorbell rings as Jess and Co. begin digesting the current situation.
threadbare 2004-01-20 06:32:45
"Now, who might that be? I'm fairly sure it's not the UPS man."

Carla fetches a pistol, and covers the door.

"Anyone want to get it?"

Sighing, she begins getting up off the couch unless anyone objects.
threadbare 2004-01-20 11:18:39
"I'll get it. Keep me covered.

Ayumi reaches for her wakizashi, unsheathes it, and steps up to the door. She holds the blade behind her back with her left hand as she reaches for the doorhandle with her right and bends her head towards the peephole.
Dieter 2004-01-20 14:56:09
Ayumi spies through the peephole, seeing nothing more than the quiet Mediterranean streetfront with the usual passerby and cyclist going about their business.
Dieter 2004-01-20 17:36:14
The uneasy quietness is broken by the chirping of Jess' phone ringer. Caller-ID lists the number as Russian prefix.
Gatac 2004-01-20 17:56:54
Jess shakes her head, then reaches for the phone and takes the call.

"Yes?"
Dieter 2004-01-20 18:33:35
(In Russian)

Oh. How nice! You are there.

Just then, the front door is blown clear off its hinges, sending Ayumi and Co. flying backward in a sudden rush of pyrotechnics and debris.

As the smoke clears, everyone is still alive. Always putting himself before Jess, Brian took most of her share of the blast. Ayumi and Carla managed to dodge the brunt of the concussive force with Artis taking refuge in the small half-bath nearby. Surrounded by bits of plaster, wood fragments, and what's left of a smoldering front door, Jess' phone remarkably stays intact and functional.

While it is hard to make out over the dreadful pain of tinnitus, the Russian voice can be heard on the receiver. He now speaks in plain English.

Hellooooo? Are you still there?
Gatac 2004-01-20 18:42:30
Jess shakes herself free of the aftereffects, raising the phone again.

"That was quite a waste of a perfectly good door. Are you done showing off that you're smarter and better organized than me now, or do I have to suffer more of your timewasters before you get to the bloody point?"

Her look glides over the room, looking if anyone needs her medical attention.
Dieter 2004-01-20 18:56:48
Jess indentifies superficial wounds on just about everyone present, with exception being Artis, who looks fresh as a daisy.

Dear woman, the little display was just to show you I mean business. Your outfit of mercenaries has cost me dearly over past year, now is time for you to pay. If any of your people survived, please tell one of them to walk over to yellow Fiat parked down street. You will find briefcase in trunk.
Gatac 2004-01-20 19:13:37
"Your grasp of explosive yields and resulting wounding effects is abysmal, but I must say you've managed to catch my interest. Seeing how I'm going to kill you soon, I think I can humor you for a second here - after all, I'm not in the business of deyning people their last wish."

That said, she hangs up and walks over to Artis.

"Could you please come with me? We have a few dots to connect."
Gatac 2004-01-20 19:27:14
"Oh, for the love of...Artis, there's a yellow Fiat parked on the street, could you please fetch a briefcase from it's trunk?"

She then reaches for the phone and takes the call.

"Did I interrupt your monologue?"
Dieter 2004-01-20 19:35:35
That was unpleasant. For that, there will be penalty. Alexy, cut off his thumb.

A scream of truly grisly and blood-curtling proportions is heard through Jess' receiver.

Comrade, it is unfortunate that we have to do business this way. I have someone that wishes to speak to you.

An apparent exchange in remarks is heard as a whimpering, moaning voice comes over the phone.

He...hello? Is...is Ay... Ayumi there? This is her br-brother, Kenji.

Outside, Artis walks about a block down the street and spots the aforementioned Fiat. He pops the trunk and finds a leather briefcase.

(Edited by Dieter at 1:46 pm on Jan. 20, 2004)
Gatac 2004-01-20 19:43:24
Jess goes slightly pale - she had no idea she was pokering this high. She drops the phone, then gives it to Ayumi.

"It's for you."
Dieter 2004-01-20 19:53:23
Ayumi...

Kenji begins speaking fluent Japanese, basically verifying that he is who he says he is. The Russian comes back on the line, asking to speak to Jess.

Now, you will listen. Ok? Further non-compliance will result in further penalties. I have no problem sending dear brother home in plastic bags...
Dieter 2004-01-20 20:10:55
(Assuming Artis comes back with the briefcase and doesn't incinerate it with gasoline...) ;)

Artis enters through what's left of the front doorway, putting the briefcase on a toppled piece of furniture.

In briefcase, you will find certain items of interest. Please consider this first of many.

Contents of the briefcase
-A bronze tsuba.
-A picture of Kenji holding up a London Times newspaper.
-A severed pinky finger.
Dieter 2004-01-20 22:58:37
Ayumi gasps and her eyes go wide. Her left hand goes to cover her gaping, quivering mouth.

Her right is at her side, clenching and unclenching the hilt of her short sword.
Dieter 2004-01-21 01:38:55
Now that I have your complete attention, I will list my negotiation terms. Inside the briefcase sleeve, you will find directions to off-site airport. In one hour, you will go to airport, take plane. When arrive at destination, take taxi to train station. There, you meet contact of mine and your people will complete assignment given to him by me. Do NOT contact authorities or penalty will be dealt to little Kenji-san. Understood?

(Edited by Dieter at 8:58 pm on Jan. 20, 2004)