Jade Imperium - OOC 8

Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-04-24 02:44:28
Quote:

I think you get the same kind of ennui, game wise, that we got in the end stage stuff in Russia during SnS, an overwhelming sense of 'We're just fucked, aren't we?'.

That's a good description and I definitely don't want that. The "wanted" bounty thing was an idea to keep you guys on your toes, to stress the importance of not getting tied down and it's done exactly the opposite - stuck on a backwoods planet where otherwise you'd just be there for a meeting. If you've read "Consider Phlebas", you'll know what I mean if I say it was an "Easy in, easy out" plan. We can finally HAVE the meeting after multiple car chases, gunfights, stalking through forests, and ambushes- let's just say Aikoro was a clusterfuck.
Quote:

Besides, as I believe Punkey mentioned at some point, all those criminals and rebels need to move, too - how do they do it? I refuse to believe that they're there just because the Imperium hasn't gotten around to killing them yet. Maybe they can hack the files, maybe they use camera-jamming equipment, I don't know, but clearly there's something we haven't seen yet and this is a good moment to bring it into play.

The Imperium's day-to-day surveillance, the drones, all that shit, that electronic haze of ID codes and personnel records hangs like an astral plane over its cities. Or think of it like Shadowrun's deckers. Hiding from the Imperium requires network stealth as much as physical stealth. Max used his Toughbook and has listened in on some communications, or hacked some log files or whatever, and to date that's helped you evade the Imperium's physical pursuit, but you have not tried stopping/spoofing their surveillance before it even GETS to physical pursuit. The few times it might have come up, I believe I've said something like "you can try to jam them but if you fail they'll know something's up". Well, you roll the dice and takes your chances - the same way EVERYTHING in this campaign works. Angel can evade the Khiraba because he has the rolls to back up his actions. Luis can fly a goddamn alien starship because he's got the stats for it. You don't want to chance jamming them, don't cry to me when their drones spot your face on Imperium's Most Wanted.

That said, why not bring up this subject while you're talking with Onas and the resistance? They'll be understandably impressed and appalled that you've gotten this far with basically no ECM support and they'll offer what they know and what they do. I'll think of something relatively simple to use but vital in its importance - and that can be how we reduce the "Big Emperor Is Watching You" Imperial surveillance problem that's stonewalling the game's progress.

My original idea of how you might have handled the surveillance was simply to do it as Jason Bourne does it - you move fast, all the time, never stop, always be somewhere else by the time the Needleship gets sent through the Gate or the manta ships show up.

Or fuck it - pull a Jeff Goldblum technobabble virus right out of Independence Day. Screw up a planetary cortex for a few hours or days while they try to get the Vi@gra ads off their systems. I'm not giving it to you for free - you still have to beat their systems and their programmers the same way you'd have to beat a Khiraba to sneak up and slit the guy's throat.
e of pi 2008-04-24 02:59:59
I can't help thinking that the best person to be taking rolls on computer infiltration would be Max (since he has a computer specielty), ditto for who should take any speceilizations/Aspects that might be involved (L33t Hacker?). The only other character with that kind of Tech die is mine, and Luis is already so bizarly multi-talented that he verges on a munchkin. Network stealth is is an area we've been largely overlooking, I'll admit.

On the other hand, I don't think dead characters get XP or Tech rolls. So it may wind up a moot point anyway.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-04-24 03:16:01
E! You have discovered the d02 system! Blessings be upon you!

Anyways, yes, give some thought to foiling their ECM and I'll work it into being maybe more effective than it would have been under the old "you're fucked" philosophy. :)
[/url]
Gatac 2008-04-24 03:19:24
I'll definitely raise that point at the meeting. I didn't expect any freebies, but it always seemed like we were gonna run into a kind of surveillance *wall* where we don't even know where to start trying to trick it. I mean, the starship stuff is relatively obvious, spoof transponders and such, but we haven't found a method on how to spoof cameras, much less actually tried to do it. We should get on fixing that at our earliest convenience.

EDIT: Edited my last IC post to ask that.

Gatac
Dieter 2008-04-24 15:55:51
Am I the only one who sees the irony of formulating a viable plan after the ponies have left the gate?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-04-24 17:32:39
Heh.

Max - you currently look like a Khiraba driving an open-topped Bartertown hovercraft. You will stick out if you take the roads/paths and whatnot around here. Because the sled is pretty stealthy, you could chance going through the forests, only cutting across roads where absolutely necessary, until you got within maybe walking distance of the port. Or maybe your plan abandons subtlety. I don't know. But know that your car, while stealthy to sensors, is visually conspicuous given your surroundings.
Dieter 2008-04-24 18:07:24
admiralducksauce wrote:

Heh.

Max - you currently look like a Khiraba driving an open-topped Bartertown hovercraft. You will stick out if you take the roads/paths and whatnot around here. Because the sled is pretty stealthy, you could chance going through the forests, only cutting across roads where absolutely necessary, until you got within maybe walking distance of the port. Or maybe your plan abandons subtlety. I don't know. But know that your car, while stealthy to sensors, is visually conspicuous given your surroundings.

I plan on ditching the warsled long before I reach town, putting some sort of half-assed SOS beacon on it for the Deltas to pick up at some point.
fanchergw 2008-04-25 20:59:15
Dieter wrote:

fanchergw wrote:

All that said, the lack of big action lately has fit well with my overwhelming lack of time for posting. With several weeks of crazyness at work, combined with looking for a new job (I have a 9-hour interview tomorrow!), time has been in really short supply.

9 hours! I hope there is some sort of Senate confirmation involved...at the very least, breakfast tacos.

Good luck, Gordon.

Thanks, Dieter. No, no senate confirmation involved, but it did go reasonably well. Plus, I got lucky and it ended up only being about 8 1/2 hours. :wink: I'm pretty much guaranteed an offer next week, and it will probably be somewhere in the rough vicinity of $15-20K more than I'm currently making. For that kind of money, I'll tolerate being grilled for 8 hours.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-04-25 21:07:29
Congratulations! I had an interview this past wednesday, plus I have a phone interview tuesday, an interview wednesday, and possibly another one squeezed in some other time next week.
Dieter 2008-04-25 21:20:59
Awesome! Good to hear after all tha malarky about being passed over for the other job.
punkey 2008-04-25 22:33:59
Nice! Congratulations, looks like you'll come out on top after getting burned at your last job.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-04-25 22:35:57
I still can't believe you had an interview that lasted all day. Did they jump around to everyone at the company or what?
e of pi 2008-04-25 23:35:20
Congrats! As a high-schooler to whom earning $250 a week is a well-paying job, the idea of a $15-20,000 increase in yearly pay would get me to do just about anything short of actual criminal activity. :P
Gatac 2008-04-25 23:39:19
So how much extra for criminal activity, then? :P

I see Max is going all-out. That does have the best chance of working, imo, but it's risky. Keep a hand on your gun...

Gatac
Dieter 2008-04-25 23:40:16
Gatac wrote:

So how much extra for criminal activity, then? :P

I see Max is going all-out. That does have the best chance of working, imo, but it's risky. Keep a hand on your gun...

Gatac

You did see that I told the good Narsai that I thought ya'll already left the planet? :wink:
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-04-26 16:12:26
The Turai guarding the control room have not technically spotted Max. I don't know what your plan is, but I left sneaky in there as a possible option.

Where are you going to park the Body Snatcher? There's not room for two under the Morningstar's overhang. You're either close but visible from the air, or far away (a couple miles) but hidden. Covering up spaceships is still pretty hard even when they're smaller.