Jade Imperium - Interlude

punkey 2022-10-16 08:22:06
Ngawai shakes her head. "That's very weird."
"Absolutely," Garrett says as Arketta just nods.
"What is?" Arlana asks.
"Hug'sh," Garrett says. "Whatever's going on with him with this pregnancy..." He looks over at Arketta and Ngawai. "I don't think we've ever seen Hugh just...gone, yeah?"
"Yep," Arketta says. "It's like he's forgotten how to be around humans, or what humans even are like. I don't miss him, but..."
"It's different, that's all," Ngawai says. "Better, but different."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2022-10-17 01:12:41
"Yeah, sometimes you act a little different when you're in one shell versus another, but deep down you're still the same code." Front Toward Enemy is there, a ceramic, metal, and fiber mannequin holding a bag of chips. It hands the chips to Garrett. "I brought food. It's from a vending machine - that seemed appropriate somehow."

As soon as the Sheen deposits the "food" onto someone else, it's away, following in Hug'sh's tracks. "Hey yo, Hug'sh, you said 'story circle'? I'm your huckleberry. Bring me your hairy children and I shall regale them as R2D2 did the Ewoks on Andor."
Gatac 2022-10-17 07:41:57
Hug'sh regards FTE's current shape, then nods.

"I hope that shell is machine-washable," he notes. "How are you with imitating Xuwu trills?"
Gatac 2022-10-23 18:30:59
"We'll see," Hug'sh replies. Dragging FTE closer to Hurricane 815, Hug'sh gives a deep throat tone and holds up his left hand. As if by magic, the cubs come running, each stopping their chattering and holding up their left hand in turn. "Storytime!" Hug'sh says, putting on a big smile. "And look who I brought! My friend, Front Towards Enemy."

The cubs don't need to be told that Hug'sh brought a friend. They're staring at FTE's shell, and some of the smaller ones are clumping together and holding each other.

"Make a sound," Hug'sh coughs.
Quote:

SELECT *
FROM bin_media bm
WHERE bm.type = 'audio'
AND category = 'whirr'

FTE's head cocks back as it plays back a twenty-second burst of Xuwu mating calls.

"...woaaah..."
"Front Towards Enemy? That's a weird name."
"Hi!"
"Do you eat metal?"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2022-10-24 13:30:59
"Greetings, and I'll answer your questions in the order they were presented," FTE replies, its facial display updating to pair the human-based expressions it was designed for with Wherren colors. "Not as weird as Back Toward Enemy would be, hello to you as well, and no."

It sits, hoping the cubs might follow suit, or at least stop the ones cowering from being frightened. "Well, I don't eat metal, at least not in this body. We have scrappers and recyclers that, yeah, I guess you could say they 'eat' metal. What do you eat?"

And so it goes.
e of pi 2022-11-22 06:10:17
Luis watches Front Towards Enemy chase down Hug'sh, and turns back to Garrett. "He's definitely different, but he's not the only one. Life's gotten strange a couple different ways over since this whole thing started."
punkey 2022-11-24 08:32:11
Arketta reaches out and pulls Luis close in response, while Garrett looks over to Ngawai, who's already looking over at him. They kiss, and he leans up against her. "Yeah, you can say that," Garrett says.
"Wouldn't have it any other way," Arketta adds, wrapping her arms on top of Luis' shoulders from behind.
CrazyIvan 2022-11-28 01:11:32
Angel approaches the small group, looking out over the scene while he sips a beer.

"I cannot begin to convey how many permits were not applied for."

He shrugs, as if resigned to this fact. "Suppose it's a good opportunity to build some more relationships with local landscaping firms."
punkey 2022-11-28 01:20:45
Ngawai gets up and gives Angel a hug. "Thanks again for the nanny service for the afternoon."
"And speaking of life getting strange," Garrett says, clinking his bottle against Angel's. "How's the interplanetary business empire going these days?"
CrazyIvan 2022-11-28 01:53:26
Angel hugs Ngawai back, giving her an easy smile. "Of course. What's the point of a state of the art daycare center with like...six people with Master's degrees working there if not to occasionally help out your friends?"

He nods to Garrett, before taking a long drink. "Complicated. Grinacanne will help - the various powers that be are willing to indulge some non-conventional approaches if it results in what amounts to complete control over some smaller planetary markets. This whole war is just...a portfolio hedge."
punkey 2022-12-03 06:48:40
"One that ends with you and Gorlan holding the bag if it all goes belly up, I presume?" Garrett asks. "Anyone in Faxom-Io seem interested in what we're doing beyond making lats?"
CrazyIvan 2022-12-16 02:41:25
"Probably. Maybe not Gorlan. Definitely me." Angel shrugged - it wasn't as if he wasn't already carrying a death sentence, probably a violent and public one, in the wider Imperium.

"One of them stopped me from going on a perfectly righteous, if ill-considered, murder-spree, but there's about a 75% chance that was also about making lats, at least long term."
punkey 2022-12-22 09:28:17
"If putting beams in the right people is 'too complicated', count me out," Ngawai replies.
"I'd ask about a face to face, but..." Garrett starts.
CrazyIvan 2023-01-22 11:20:42
Angel made a gesture at Ngawai that was clearly "I know, right?"

He raised his eyebrow at Garrett.

"I think that could be arranged - but what for? You've got something in mind?"
punkey 2023-01-23 20:06:00
"Nothing too major, I think if I got into another off-world mission right now Ngawai would kill me," Garrett says.
"And I would," Ngawai confirms.
"Just that if we're making Faxom-Io a part of our plan to sell the galaxy on throwing in with us, it'd be nice to see what their intentions are and where they see themselves in all of this," Garrett says.
CrazyIvan 2023-01-26 08:48:45
Angel nods. "I'll ask around. It's exposure, and I have no idea how heavily firewalled they want to keep all of this, but it's worth trying."

He smirks before looking at Ngawai. "Might need to arrange for an off-world mission to get you to a proper tailor though."
punkey 2023-01-29 08:20:03
"We could do with something that isn't a disguise or in desert camo brown," Ngawai replies. "If you had someone in mind..."
"As a matter of fact, I do," Angel replied.

----

As FTE’s sound library becomes increasingly strained for yet unheard sounds of Whirr wildlife and the ice cream drippings set up in Hug’sh’s fur, a pleasant sort of lull seems to settle over the whole affair. Hug’sh can only smirk as FTE gains the experience of having cubs climb all over him, not that they’re any less all over Hug’sh, but such is life. Hug’sh turns towards the nearest fire pit, where he spots Rhea in full command of the meat distribution, while Torega stands to the side at a folding table, slicing up grillable fruits with a focus and determination only found in five-year olds. She looks bigger now…is it all right for her to handle knives? Well, her claws are coming in as well. And in what seems like no time at all, she’s gotten taller than Temator.

And thus we add another chapter to Hug’sh’s book of Why Am I Crying. Freeing an arm from the gaggle of chattering cubs, he wipes his face. Happy tears this time, he’s pretty sure.
Rodirr steps up next to Hug’sh and starts grooming him. ”Your family is growing up, mate,” he says.
”I know,” Hug’sh chokes out. ”Family…with our cubs, in our house, our village…” He looks down at his chest, where one of the smaller cubs is trying to give him a big hug. Hug’sh smiles and gives her a little pat on the head. ”I told myself I’d be ready for this, but…”
”I am jealous of you,” Rodirr says, burying his muzzle deeper into Hug’sh’s neck. ”You have something I never had a chance to have. First, the Turai, and then fighting someone else’s fight for years, does not leave much time for a family. You are lucky.”
Hug’sh swallows down a laugh even as the tears continue. ‘Lucky’ was only ever what he got to be when he was the asshole walking away from an ambush that should’ve killed him. It was never the sappy kind of ‘lucky’, and now…now it is. Substitute ‘blessed’ as appropriate. ”I am,” Hug’sh says. He grooms Rodirr’s neck. ”And I have you as well.” He turns to look at FTE, and then beyond him at the people gathered in the park. ”And my friends.” He sighs. ”One of these days, Rodirr, I’ll do something good for you as well. I swear.”
”You have given this tired warrior something to fight for, and someone to love,” Rodirr purrs. ”I could not ask for more.”
”Really? Nothing more?” Hug’sh asks. ”That’s strange to hear from a mercenary.”
”Well, when you find a cause worth fighting for…” Rodirr says. ”The room and board doesn’t hurt either. And this,” He grabs Hug’sh’s butt.
”I’m not sure it’s enough to raise a whole corps worth of warriors,” Hug’sh replies.
”You haven’t dropped your pants yet for them,” Rodirr purrs.
”We do need something for the recruitment holos,” Hug’sh replies with a chuff. ”Okay. I have to go and make an announcement. Watch the cubs for a minute, please.”

Handing the crawly mess of cubs off to Rodirr’s patient hands, Hug’sh extricates himself from the story circle with as much grace as Intermediate Fat Bear bod allows, then walks over to the fire pit.

”Father!” Torega beams, quickly gathering a handful of fruit slices in her cupped hands and holding them out towards him. ”Look!”
”They look very tasty,” Hug’sh says. ”May I have one?”
”Yes!” Torega squeals, trying to stretch even higher somehow. Hug’sh spears a few bits between his claws and pops them into his mouth, letting a wave of green roll over his fur in response. ”Have some more! I can cut more!”
”In a bit,” Hug’sh says. ”I need to make a big announcement to my friends first.”
”Okay,” Torega says. Looking at the handful of fruit slices for a moment, she dumps them into a bowl, nods as if congratulating herself on her good, grown-up idea and then gets back to cutting up more fruit.
Hug’sh smiles at the image, then turns to Rhea and holds out his hand to her. ”I think it’s time we make it official,” he says softly.
Rhea rolls over green and yellow. ”Aside from all of your friends that you’ve told, and half the village,” she replies, looking up from her cutting board for a moment to nuzzle against Hug’sh. She grabs his hand with hers, covered in blood, and puts it on her stomach.. Hug’sh leans over to her and grooms her neck with a purr, while his hand gently runs over her stomach.
”You’re not making it easier to give a speech,” he whispers to her.
”You don’t need my help to do that,” Rhea purrs back. ”You will be fine, bondmate.”
”I’ll make it quick, too,” Hug’sh replies. With a final groom, he separates from Rhea and turns to address the gathered crowd. The words ‘your attention, please’ seem somewhat redundant at this point, because they’ve drawn pretty much all the stares already.

”My friends,” Hug’sh begins. ”As some of you are already aware and others have undoubtedly noticed, I have some good personal news to share.” He glances back at Rhea and Torega for a moment too long. ”My bondmate Rhea and I are expecting a litter of cubs. Soon, our little family will…will grow. And I couldn’t be...couldn’t be happier.” Deep breaths. ”The time has come for me to focus on my family. I am therefore withdrawing from active deployment status. All responsibilities and tasks I carry out in my role as General Walks-the-Fire I will leave in the capable hands of my mate -” he looks over to the story circle - ”Lieutenant General Rodirr.” Hug’sh smirks. ”By the way, congratulations on the promotion.” He turns back to the crowd. ”I promised my bondmate I’d make this quick, so that’s all, folks. I hope you have a wonderful evening. Thank you.”

There’s a rumbling through the assembled Wherren, but for most of those present, they had guessed that Hug’sh would be stepping down - if for no other reason than the gut hanging over the front (and sides) of his pants. They knew how much pregnancy took out of both mates, and so weren’t exactly surprised. The humans seemed a little more surprised on average, though. With Rhea and Rodirr by his side, Hug’sh receives the various well-wishes on his way to his 815 teammates, only to be intercepted on the way by an unlikely pair: Kararr “Claw-Breaker”, still stolid as ever even with his kauka-regenerated hand, and Khodash, whose two little litter-brothers are presumably causing some sort of culinary havoc elsewhere. Kararr steps forward first and silently offers Hug’sh his hand, which Hug’sh shamelessly abuses to pull the tall Wherren into a deep hug.

”...congratulations, Chief,” Kararr says. ”May your litter carry the strength of their mother and the wisdom of their father.” His fur remains decidedly mid-brown, with only some green peeking out before getting squashed.
”Thank you,” Hug’sh whispers to him. ”You big softie.”
”Yes, well,” Kararr says, pushing himself free of the hug. He gives Rodirr a once-over. ”I see I must work harder to earn favor with you, Chief. The next promotion will be mine.”
”Well,” Hug’sh says, ”as it happens this Army is also going to need a Sergeant Major. Someone who understands the needs of our warriors and has earned their respect.” He smiles. ”I think I’m looking at him.”
The corners of Kararr’s mouth lift by a half millimeter each. ”I would be honored,” he says, then looks over to Rodirr. ”And I would answer to you, then?”
”Yes, but I don’t have a lot to say, anyway,” Rodirr jests. Kararr honors the quip with a brief chuckle. Hug’sh has little time to enjoy the humor, as Khodash - tired of waiting her turn - draws Hug’sh into a deep hug herself.
”Congratulations, Sir,” she whispers to him. ”Don’t let me catch you in the briefings.”
”You won’t,” Hug’sh answers.
”Because you’ll be taking it easy, right?” Khodash says, releasing the embrace. Her expression drops a bit as she searches Hug’sh’s face. ”You will be taking it easy, right?”
”Yes, of course,” Hug’sh answers.
”Because if I hear from the medicae that you’re not taking it easy -”
”I promise,” Hug’sh says. ”No briefings. No heroics.”
”...okay,” Khodash mewls, concern still all over her face. ”Permission to hug you again?”
”Always,” Hug’sh replies, which seems rather foolhardy a second later as Khodash embraces him again. With a final squeeze, she separates from him, spies something in the distance and quickly excuses herself.
”I should get going as well,” Kararr adds with a cough. ”I have warriors to train tomorrow.”
”Indeed,” Hug’sh says. ”Good luck…Sergeant Major.”
”Same to you, Chief,” Kararr says. With a thump of his fist against his chest and a quick bow, he excuses himself as well.

Paul coughs behind Hug’sh, and when he turns around, the whole rest of the 815 are waiting, along with Paul, Onas, and Arlana and Ody Quis. ”...surprise?” Hug’sh tries. ”I mean…I think everyone already knew. I just needed to make it official. Not that I invited everyone out here just for that, I mean, that’d be a not so good reason to, uh…oh, and sorry again about the park, Ody.”
”My department will send you the bill,” Ody replies with a nod. ”And congratulations.”
”Thank you,” Hug’sh says. He looks to Paul and Onas. ”Thank you for being here as well. I just wanted to say that…you can trust Rodirr.” He turns to Rodirr. ”And you can trust them.” He turns back to Paul and Onas, and something…wistful seems to play over his face. ”I don’t want this to sound ghastly, but…I often think of how I reacted back when I first learned about your relationship. I don’t want to forget it, because it…it helps me when I have trouble figuring out who I want to be. Because I know I don’t ever want to be that guy again. You helped me figure myself out. I’ll never stop being grateful for that. I hope that…I hope I’ll never disappoint you again.”
Onas starts to respond, but Paul interrupts him. ”Thank you for the kind words, Hug’sh,” Paul says.
Hug’sh nods to that, then looks to Onas. They’ve been here before…and he never seems to find the right words. His ears lower as he averts his eyes. ”...yeah, I’ll be…we’ll be over there, then,” Hug’sh mumbles, then makes his way over to 815.

”So, you’re fucking Rodirr?” Zaef asks, chewing on a sandwich.
”Uh, yeah,” Hug’sh says. ”Is this…news to anyone? I don’t think we’ve been very discreet.”
”Been busy with Kitty and Brinai,” Zaef replies.
”GRHDI work at Mesas Negras,” Swims-the-Black grunts.
”I don’t even live on this planet anymore,” Angel adds.
Hale just nods. ”He seems to make you happy.”
”He does,” Hug’sh says. ”And I hope I make him happy, too.”
punkey 2023-07-29 07:32:56
"So," Garrett grunts, both him and Ngawai sitting down next to Swims-the-Black, "What are you going to do with yourself while waiting for the cubs? Sitting around and getting fat and ready to nurse sounds like a recipe for going stir-crazy to me."